Those of you who live near a violin shop know how useful it can be to stop in and ask your luthier a quick question. However, sometimes that just isn’t possible, whether because of scheduling, distance, or circumstances. That’s why I offer a virtual luthier service, to bridge the gap between an in-person visit and hoping the internet gives you the right answer.
What kind of issues can you help with?
I aim to help with basicly everything that doesn’t necessitate me handling the instrument. For example, that could be:
- Diagnosing the source of problems, buzzes, playability issues, etc.
- Evaluating damage.
- Give a second opinion on a potential repair, or help you know what to expect before visiting a shop (for example "is it worth taking Grandma’s old fiddle in to get fixed up?")
- Advising on string choices or other set-up options.
- Make a care plan for your instrument & teaching basic maintance such as changing strings, straighting your bridge, applying peg dope.
- Answering any questions about acoustics or instruments you might have.
- Anything else you might ask your local luthier!
If at any point I think it’s best to go visit a local shop I will definitely tell you. I won’t try to talk you through a repair or suggest doing anything that might damage your instrument. This isn’t a substitute for visiting a luthier when it’s needed. Also, I cannot help with definitive violin identification or valuation. Sorry.
How does it work?
- You send me a message with a short description of your issue and when you would like to meet.
- I will get back to you within 24 hours (usually sooner) and let you know if I think I can help & to schedule an appointment.
- We talk on video, using either zoom or skype, and I do everything I can to help.
The better your camera, lighting, and microphone are the better the chance I will be able to help is. I may ask you to play the instrument or talk you through minor (safe!) adjustments or experiments, so please be ready with your bow, shoulder rest, etc. It may also be helpful to have a small ruler on hand, preferibly with milimeter markings.
How much does it cost?
20 € for the first half hour. 5 € for every 5 minutes after that. Yes, you can pay in dollars too.
Sounds great! Let’s do this.
To get started just send me a message:
Please include as much information as you can, as well as what times/dates would work best for you to meet. I am available 7 days a week. But, keep in mind that I live in Barcelona and I’d rather avoid scheduling appointments at 3:00 in the morning! For reference, the current time in Barcelona is . If you let me know that the situation is urgent I will do my best to make myself available as soon as possible.
I am looking forward to hearing from you!